Monday, September 18, 2006

Might as well....

Well, I said I would consider putting up some short pieces, so...yeah. This was from a little while ago when I was enthralled with surrealism and lyric prose (I still like lyric prose. The illusion of poetry appeals to me as much as the illusion of dancing). I can't remember what my intentions were, but I think this was supposed to be spoken out loud. The verses had a melody, but I can't remember it.
It's not great, but this was one of the only things I'd written that year that wasn't a research paper. Also, I was working through some confusing events.
Whether it translates well in text or not, there is supposed to be a heavy emphasis on imagery. I borrowed heavily from my (very limited) familiarity of Arabic tales for some of the imagery. Also (nerd alert!) from Trigun and certain fantasy landscape artists (most notably John Avon).

Sorry. That's enough stalling now, I guess.....

"Wherever It Might Lead Me"

I was walking. The sky was night-dark, though the sun shone like a ghost in the sky. A noisy breeze, like the muttering of many voices, flitted among the stones. I was on a stairway, a stairway I had found the previous night, and had been walking upon since dawn. I did not know where the steps beneath my feet would lead. This could be a stairway to paradise, or to damnation, but I would walk this path to Heaven, or Hell, or wherever it might lead me.
Ahead of me I saw a traveler, another person upon the stair. I called out, and she turned to face me. She had the grace of an antelope and was as fair as the moon. Her skin was the color of the desert sands, her hair a raven's feather. A white cloak fell across her shoulders, and her right hand held a staff like that of a wise vizier. Her eyes were green as the River's banks, deep and flourishing.
I came close to her and she looked into my eyes. After many moments, she sang to me.

Tuas Manus, Domine.
In your hands, Lord.
Was the light of your face Too much for man,
That he should cover his eyes And turn away?
How sad he should turn Away from your face
And toward the face of darkness!
For an evil spirit is merely an angel
That has fallen from grace.

En tu corazón, Amor.
In your heart, my Love.
The kindled flame was Too much for man,
And he should be afraid that He will burn away.
How sad that he should be consumed By a wildfire
When what he wishes for is the light Of one thousand candles.
For a woman is merely an angel
That causes the heart ot blaze.

Galad elenath, Ea.
Under the stars, Creator,
The cold light is lovely but Not enough for man,
Who shivers throughout the night and Longs for day.
How sad! The night is filled with cries and tears.
When shall it end?
For the dawn is like an angel
Crowned with the sun's bright rays.

A great silence came to be over the land, and it flowed between us for many minutes. Words came to my lips, and I replied.

I know the Tongues, the words you sing to me.
Your questions have been drawn From my very soul.
They are a siren's song, A woman's perfume,
And have held many in their embrace
Until they have lost their peace.

Yes the night is long, And there is much to despair.
But I say to you, Look to the East!
The dawn is coming,
The dawn is here,
The dawn is already risen!

There is no candle, Nor is there a wildfire,
But what is already in your soul.
They are one and the same,
And know that while a Heart might blaze
It can not be consumed.

Cry out, O questioner, and Receive the answer!
You cannot turn away from your God
And the Divine will always Stand before you.
You are still in His hands!

You are not alone, Not set upon by evil spirits
From every side and from above.
There are no spirits, But those you have called to yourself.
You can escape from them
If you do as I, And I have become
My own angel.

The silence persisited after my song, and my questioner smiled softly. In that moment, a great wind arose with a shout like a distant God. She lifted her hands to the sky and her cloak, white as alabaster, surrounded her and became a shining corona. A great light exploded like a clap of thunder before the eyes, and she was no longer there. I was once again alone on the stairs.
I continued to walk. This could be a path to paradise, or to damnation, but I would follow this path to Heaven, or Hell, or wherever it might lead me.

No comments: