Saturday, September 09, 2006

I still get carded

So, last night we went to the Imperial university pub, and then caught a bus to Picadilly Circus and spent a couple of hours at the Yates in the West End club. Not my favorite place ever, but it was okay. I don't really like going to clubs to drink, or to "mack" on the "babes," so the only thing left to be interested in there is the music. And Yates had okay music, but it wasn't the kind of club I would have chosen to go to if I weren't with a group. A little more hip-hop than I cared for at that time of night. After ten, happy hardcore and trance are king(s). Maybe a dash of futurepop and industrial.
Also, the DJ wasn't great. His transitions were often really abrupt and he'd apparently never heard of crossfading.
Which wouldn't have been such a problem, but he played "popular" stuff and didn't really make any effort to match tempos or even make sure that the songs even sounded similar. For instance, at one point he cut off some hip-hop song (I can't remember the name of it), and cued up Madonna's "Material Girl". No sense whatsoever.

The drinking age in England is 18, not 21. That means that there's no real reason to have the over/under 21 distinction here like there are at some clubs in the States. However, I still got carded at the door. Apparently I don't even look 18 yet. It's a little frustrating of course, but I also think it's quite amusing. Jailbait? You wish. *laugh*

So, at the pub last night I didn't get anything myself 'cause I didn't want to spend any extra money, but I did try a couple of sips of Wes's snakebite. Far more than any other drink I've ever had, this one was tolerable. I don't know what proportion it's in, but if I remember the mix right, it's part lager, part cider, and a shot of blackcurrent. It was very sweet.

More later!

No comments: