Monday, October 02, 2006

Legendary Fire Escapes

So, this morning I definitely went and did a short tour/workshop/thing at the reconstructed Globe Theater. It was very interesting and a lot of fun, and I asked a friend to take a picture of me in front of the stage (we weren't actually allowed on the stage because we weren't actors). I don't know how the pic will turn out (the background was very bright since the Globe is an open-air theater and the sun was sort of behind the stage), but I hope it's a good one.

It's really interesting the way "Shakespeare era" actors learned their lines. There was very little, if any of the character and plot analysis that goes into so many modern productions, where actors try to feel their characters and understand them and their positions within the play. For one thing, actors were given only their own lines and their cues, rather than then entire play. Instead of doing months-long runs of a play, a company would typically put on a different play every day. And that's EVERY day. Needless to say, there wasn't much to do with this six-week-long rehearsal deal, either. Plays had to be memorized in a matter of days, and rehearsal generally took place on the morning of the actual performance.

That's absolutely ludicrous by today's standards.

...Which means I want to try it now. >_<


I'm going to grab some lunch and probably take a nap. My other class isn't meeting today, so I've got some time to relax, which'll be nice since I was up working so late last night.

P.L.U.&R.!

No comments: